Breakfasts are leisurely affairs with sausages and bacon from our local butcher, eggs from the village hens, specials (as the mood takes us) and occasionally a bowl of ‘furmity’ – a Wessex creation with oats, sugar, rum, raisins and cream (please ask). We have also been fortunate enough to win an Enjoy England Breakfast Award in the past.
At the Old Cider House we pride ourselves on our food. We know that our guests are discerning and demand good quality, home made meals at a reasonable price. We are not chefs – just like cooking meals for friends. We have a set menu with vegetarian alternative. Please let us know of any particular likes or dislikes and dietary requirements on booking.
We use, wherever possible, local and organic produce – some from our garden. Our eggs come from local free-range suppliers. Our meat from the village butcher – Fauns and other local farm suppliers. Dairy produce from our local dairy and Yeo Valley organic creamery. We bake our own bread, make our own jam, marmalade and chutneys and even brew our own beer and distil our own gin.
We cook to order booking in advance is essential (please book on a Friday for Saturday-Monday meals. £20.00 incl. coffee (unless special night).
We have a number of options for eating in the village and surrounding area:
- The Ancient Mariner – pub, dog friendly, real ales, 3 minutes walk – WEBSITE 01278 497510
- The George – pub, dog friendly, no food – WEBSITE 01278 732248
- The Kitchen @ Quantock Lakes – café, occasional restaurant, 15 minute walk/3 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 732207
- Quantock Tearoom – café, sandwiches etc., 1 minute walk – WEBSITE 01278 732495
- The Foxy Bean – café, 30 minute walk/10 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 733114
- the Cottage Inn – pub, dog friendly, real ales, 20 minute walk/5 minute drive WEBSITE 01278 732355
- the Plough, Holford – pub, dog friendly, real ales, 1.5 hour walk/15 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 741624
- The Combe House Hotel – hotel, fine dining, 1.5 hour walk/15 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 741382
- The Hood Arms – pub, dog friendly, real ales, 20 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 741114
- Saffron – Indian, 15 minute drive – WEBSITE 01278 651010