The George opens its doors

The George opens its doors

After 16 months we are back to our full complement of pubs in Nether Stowey with the George Hotel reopening its doors today.

The George had a major fire in December 2015 causing the pub to close whilst the pub was rebuilt (very slowly). This did not, however, mean that we were without Bill’s friendly face and banter as he ran a micro-pub from the function room behind the pub whilst the works were carried out.

The George is the oldest pub in the village and can trace its history back to 1616 although the original build dated back another century. At that time, the pub was situated across the road and had its own bowling green and fives wall. By 1781 the pub on the south side of St Mary Street had close and the next reference appears in 1804 when the pub was probably situated where it is now. In 1899 and 1906 it had assembly rooms where theatrical entertainments were given.

Assuming the pub continued in existence, it would have been known to Coleridge and Wordsworth in the late eighteenth century and it would be lovely to think that the two of them wrote part of the Lyrical Ballads while supping a pint there.

The very first pint of bitter from the new George!

The very first pint of bitter from the new George!

Today the pub is a multiroomed and cosy building with plenty of space to lost in. Its dark wood interior and Tiffany lamps make this the perfect venue for an evening drink and with a couple of real ales (including, on occasion, Stowey Ale) we look forward to many nights discussing life, the universe and everything.

Good luck Bill.